clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Gateway won't host NASCAR Nationwide Series races in 2011

NNSracing.com

Dover Motorsports Inc. announced Wednesday that it will not seek a NASCAR sanction for any events at Gateway International Raceway in 2011. Gateway hosts two Nationwide Series races and a Camping World Truck Series race at its 1.25-mile track.

Dover Motorsports President and CEO Denis McGlynn said in a statement that a sale is possible for the track located in Madison, Ill., near St. Louis.

"We have a group of extremely dedicated and talented employees who make Gateway a great destination and we deeply appreciate all the support we have had from the racing community over the years – from racing fans and drivers to sponsors, team owners and sanctioning bodies," McGlynn said. "However, economics dictate that we evaluate all of our options for this facility, including its possible sale."

Dover Motorsports, which also owns Dover International Speedway and Nashville Superspeedway, shut down Memphis Motorsports Park last year, moving that race to Gateway. Attendance at Nashville has been poor for several years.

"This was a difficult decision in light of the many years of earnest and continued efforts on everyone’s part to develop a viable market for these events in one of our nation’s greatest cities," Gateway Vice President and General Manager Terry Harmeson. "We remain committed to fulfill the balance of our 2010 schedule including our October 23rd NASCAR Nationwide race which will provide our fans the opportunity to see Danica Patrick compete here for the first time. We also plan to explore various ways to change the economics at Gateway both from the revenue and expense side."

Harmeson replaced Lenny Batycki as Gateway's leader, despite Batycki's positive efforts to increase attendance at Gateway.